Care Center is a 24/7 AAHA accredited Emergency and Referral Animal Hospital. We not only offer state of the art 24 hour emergency care, but also a multitude of other specialties. Some of these include Surgery, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Diagnostic Imaging, and Radiation Oncology.
Students should always come prepared with stethoscope and calculator.
Suggested but not required equipment includes pen light, hemostats, and bandage scissors.
Prior to meeting with a clinician to present any case that you have been asked to exam, complete the following:
• accurate and thorough physical examination
• develop a list of problems and differential
• develop a tiered diagnostic and therapeutic plan, recognizing that client constraints may
not always allow us to perform all desired diagnostics or provide the ideal level of care
• Students that have not prepared the above information to effectively discuss the case with the clinician may be directed to correct the deficient content area and re-present the case to the clinician.
• triage and assessment of life threatening injury
• stabilization and emergent management of acutely ill patients
• interpretation of point-of-care
During the clinical decision-making phase of the teaching process we expect that you will develop competency to:
• perform and evaluate radiographs
• evaluate diagnostic laboratory results
• assess the need for and be competent to perform routine emergency procedures
• attend all rounds as dictated by the rounds and rotation schedule
• complete all medical records accurately and completely
• communicate in a timely and effective manner with all clients
• ask one of the team members to clarify any uncertainty you may have about the proper use of any piece of equipment, about how to perform a patient treatment or diagnostic procedure, or about any aspect of this rotation
• complete any/all assignments on time
• play an active role in your educational experience while on this rotation